- 2 cups emmer flour (emmer is an ancient high-protein wheat; spelt or whole-wheat flour can be substituted)
- 1 cup whole-milk yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 over-ripe banana, cut into small chunks
- Heavy cream (optional)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Butter, jam or maple syrup to taste
- Mix together the emmer flour and Beet and Threefold Blend powders. Add the yogurt and water and stir gently to combine completely. Cover with a towel and leave out overnight.
- In the morning, add the baking soda, salt, melted butter, egg, blueberries and banana to the batter. Stir to combine completely. If too thick, add heavy cream (or water) as needed.
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat until hot. Turn heat to medium-low. Spoon large dollops of batter into the pan and simmer until brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Serve with additional yogurt, butter, jam or maple syrup.
This recipe was provided by Asher Cowan, CEO of Dr. Cowan’s Garden. Asher co-founded the business with his father Dr. Thomas Cowan. The original product line was garden powders which offered a way for people without a large garden to be able to eat five plants a day. The company has since expanded into foods for all categories of plants and animals. Asher explains all of the foods are ones he’s wanted for his own pantry.